Two more cases drive count to 60
The Nassau Guardian April 20, 2020
The Ministry of Health yesterday announced two additional COVID-19 cases in The Bahamas — a 67-year-old man and a 53-year-old man, both residents of New Providence with no history of travel.
The 53-year-old is hospitalized, the ministry said.
It also reported that another person had recovered from the virus.
There have been 60 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in The Bahamas with 11 recoveries so far.
At a press conference yesterday, Prime Minister Dr. Hubert Minnis said the Ministry of Health will expand its COVID-19 sampling “early this week”.
“This is being done utilizing physicians, nurses and medical technologists to go out into the community,” he said.
“Those targeted for testing include contacts of confirmed cases, especially those with symptoms; healthcare personnel nearing the end of their quarantine period; nursing and home care personnel; and individuals calling into the hotline reporting concerning symptoms.”
There are 898 people in quarantine, according to the ministry.
Last week, Chief Medical Officer Dr. Pearl McMillan said officials had received word that not everyone who has been asked to quarantine at home was doing so.
Yesterday, when asked whether those individuals will face fines, Minnis said, “Yes, individuals who violate quarantine, we will deal with that.”